Earlier this year, while speaking with a potential client about their project, the topic of Cyber Monday sales was raised as a possible day of focus for their online marketing campaign. I was shocked to see the confusion in their eyes as they asked, “What’s Cyber Monday?”
What is Cyber Monday?
Cyber Monday is the first Monday after Thanksgiving boasting some of the best online shopping deals of the year. The majority of retail shopping deals for the holiday season begin on Black Friday, however, Cyber Monday is rapidly becoming more and more popular every year and is now the largest online shopping day of the year. Online shoppers enjoy amazing deals, no lines and almost none of the crazy holiday shopping antics like fighting for the last item on the shelf or trying to find a parking spot. This results in a far less stressful shopping experience which is just one more reason why Cyber Monday continues to grow in popularity.
Cyber Monday Stats:
- Online shopping totals on Cyber Monday hit $2.29 BILLION (1.Adobe)
- Online sales grew by 20.6 percent over 2012. (2.IBM)
- Cyber Monday mobile sales increased 55.4% from 2012 and accounted for over 17% of total online sales. (3.MobileFOMO)
- Mobile traffic increased 45% over 2012 and accounted for 31.7% of all online traffic. (3.MobileFOMO)
- Cyber Monday online shopping traffic peaked at 11:25am ET. (4.CNN Money)
Cyber Monday History
The term “Cyber Monday” was first used in 2005 after holiday retail spending research from 2004 showed that the Monday following Thanksgiving was one of the biggest online shopping days of the year. Since then, Cyber Monday spending has increased dramatically every year. (5.Wikipedia)